With Chinese Checkers Online, you can play Chinese Checkers (also known as Chinese Chequers or Sternhalma), a popular strategy board game, online with friends/strangers or offline with bots.
- designed for people who are interested in strategy board games (checkers or draughts).
- a fun brain exercise to keep you mentally sharp.
- can be played by 2 – 6 players.
- both the normal mode and the Super Chinese Checkers mode (the fast-paced mode usually takes much less time to finish) are available.
- can be played both online and offline.
- play online by matching with a random player or creating a match with a friend.
- play offline and develop your skills with a bot(s) (weak/strong bot).
- play locally with another player on the same device.
- interactive tutorial to help you learn the rules in only a few minutes.
- absolutely no ads.
- choose your preferred background music.
- choose your preferred interface theme and game board theme.
- choose to display all possible destinations of one ball (this will make the game much easier for you to win).
- create your own profile: type your name and choose an avatar.
- easy to understand user interface.
About the game
Chinese checkers (also known as Sternhalma or Chinese chequers) is a popular board game originating from Germany. It is played on a star-shaped board by 2 to 6 players. Each player tries to move all of their pieces from their starting corner to the opposite one.
To learn more details about the rules of the game, click “Read rules” on the main screen.
How to play
Click the “Read rules” button on the main screen to watch an interactive tutorial.
- The game is played by 2 to 6 players on a star-shaped board.
- You start with 10 pieces at the bottom of the screen (“home”).
- Your goal is to move all the pieces to the opposite corner.
- Tap on a piece to select it; you will see all the possible places that piece can go to.
- The simplest move is to go to an adjacent cell.
- You can also jump over other pieces; you can jump over multiple pieces in one move.
- In fast-paced mode (Super Chinese Checkers), you can jump over a single non-adjacent piece to a symmetrical position on the opposite side; as before, one move can consist of multiple jumps.
- When you are finished with the move, tap the moved piece again to confirm it.
- To cancel the move and start again, tap on the undo button in the top-left corner.
- To zoom in and out, tap on the zoom button in the top-right corner; you can also use the pinch-to-zoom gesture.
Online and offline method
The Chinese Checkers app allows you to play the game both online and offline.
There are two ways of playing online:
- be matched to a random opponent,
- create a private game and play with your friends/family or join such a game by typing in the code. Currently online matches support only 2 players per game.
Offline games offer capabilities to play against the computer, or against another player locally on the same device. You can configure the game to have any number of players (e.g. you against a bot, or you against 5 bots).
Currently there are two different bots available: “weak bot” and “bot”.
- As the name suggests, weak bot simulates a weak player that frequently makes non-optimal moves. Choose this option if you just started learning the game.
- Regular bot is much smarter, though experienced players should be able to beat it.
We’re planning to develop an even stronger bot, but this takes time and energy. Please purchase the premium mode of the app to support us. 🙂
Normal, fast and “cheating” mode
In the normal mode, you can also jump over other pieces; you can jump over multiple pieces in one move.
In fast-paced mode (Super Chinese Checkers), you can jump over a single non-adjacent piece to a symmetrical position on the opposite side; as before, one move can consist of multiple jumps. Please note, you will only match with players who choose the same mode, fast-paced (default) or normal.
In the “cheating” mode, you can see all possible destinations of a chosen piece.
Click on the gear icon on the main page to open the Settings screen. It allows you to configure the game to match your preferences. In Settings, you can:
- adjust interface sounds volume (button clicks, moves, game end & other sounds);
- adjust background music volume;
- choose background music track;
- choose interface theme and game board theme;
- switch on/off Super Chinese Checkers mode;
- switch on/off “cheating” mode: show all possible destinations;
- and many more.
Click on the person icon on the bottom-right corner of the main screen to configure your profile which is displayed to other players during online games. You can type in your name and choose an avatar.
Want more fun? Check out my other games crafted with great efforts.
Currently there are 17 apps available on the Android platform, namely Chinese Checkers, Art Academy, Country Mania, Maritime Academy, Emoji Mania, Sky Academy, Morse Mania, Morse Chat, Brick Mania, Color Mania, Hop Mania, Jezz Mania, Lip Reading Academy, NATO Alphabet, Braille Academy, Elements Academy and Greek Alphabet Academy;
there are 17 apps available on the iOS platform, namely Chinese Checkers Online, Art Academy, Country Mania, Maritime Academy, Emoji Mania, Sky Academy, Morse Mania, Morse Chat, Brick Mania, Swiss Mania, HopMania, Jezz Mania, Lipreading Academy, NATO Alphabet, Braille Academy, Elements Academy and Greek Alphabet Academy.
Simply download them and try them out!