Today I’m gonna show you how to make the so-called must-have famous Italian pasta sauce Aglio E Olio, coming from Naples. This is a great dish for garlic lovers as well as chili lovers. 🙂 Also, as I myself love bell peppers, I’ll add some bell pepper as well. Well, I know with some other vegetables (such as bell pepper, zucchini etc.), this dish is no longer the authentic Spaghetti Aglio E Olio, but trust me, it’s as delicious. With your favorite vegetables in, it shouldn’t be worse, should it? Of course, here I will show how to make the Aglio E Olio sauce first, and if you don’t like bell peppers or other vegetables, just simply ignore the last step. 🙂
Now let’s have a look what ingredients we need. (Here the suggested amount is for 1 person)
- Garlic (4-5 cloves) (depending on how strong you want the flavor)
- Red chili (half) (depending on how spicy you want it to be)
- Olive oil (5-10g) (enough to fry the sliced garlic and chili)
- Salt (one and half tea spoons)
- Spaghetti (for one person)
- Grand Cheese or Parmesan Cheese (certain amount)
- Parsley (certain amount)
- Red bell pepper (1)
- Cut the garlic and chili into slices.
- Cut red bell pepper and fresh parsley into small pieces.
- Grind the cheese.
- Boil hot water in a pot.
- When the hot water starts boiling, put one tea spoon of salt in and start boiling spaghetti (for around 8-10 mins depending on how hard you want the spaghetti to be. I experienced in Italy that the spaghetti they enjoy is raw from my opinion lol).
- At the same time start heating a small pot with olive oil (mild fire for around 2 mins), make sure the oil is enough to fry the garlic and chili.
- Add sliced garlic and chili into olive oil and stir a bit. Add half a tea spoon of salt (not too much salt at this moment as the in the end, grand cheese is also kind of salty.). The salt will be mostly absorbed by garlic and chili.
- Fry garlic and chili for around 2-3 mins (not too long, otherwise garlic slices will easily get burned. You will taste it in the end and you’re not gonna enjoy it that much) .
- Add red bell pepper pieces or other vegetables you like and stir them for around 3-4 mins. (If you want the original Aglio E Olio sauce just ignore this step.)
- Switch off the fire for both pots and put the cooked spaghetti into the small pot and mix it with fried garlic and chili and olive oil (and the vegetable you added).
- Put the mixture in plate and don’t forget to spread the minced parsley. 🙂
At last, spread your favorite cheese on and Bon Appetite!